Saturday, August 8, 2009

Purple pants, Yogurtland

We have been lucky enough to find a wonderful high school girl Brooke to be our regular babysitter. Brooke came highly recommended from my book club friend, Meghan, who teaches honors classes at the high school on the Marine base.

In May Brooke and I did a trial run where she would come home with me after work and take care of Olivia while I did the laundry, dishes, etc. Once Brooke felt comfortable with Little O, we moved on to monthly date nights.

The first time we did it, I was the crazy mother, checking my cell phone a million times during dinner. At 8 p.m. I called Brooke to make sure that Olivia had fallen asleep. (I'm always concerned that Olivia is going to turn into devil baby once Benny and I walk out the door.)

Two Saturdays ago, I was happy to have our date night before Benny left for two weeks. He traveled to mainland Japan for a work conference -- that included hiking Mount Fuji on Saturday. I'm sure he'll be blogging about that either today or tomorrow.

Back to the date night, so it is so strange being without Olivia. She is with us all the time (or so it seems) that when she isn't there, I'm not sure how to have a meal without a bottle in my hand or shaking a rattle in front her face. It's scary how motherly I've become in the last 5 months.

So first we headed to Satto, a new favorite Japanese restaurant with homemade tofu and organic Okinawa cuisine.


Then we stopped by Uniqlo, a clothing store that can be best dressed as The Gap of Japan. I had went there earlier in the week, shopping for Benny's birthday and had a few things in mind for him.

No, the purple pants were not on my shopping list, but they are very popular for men and women here. Along with capris for men. But Benny won't do it.

Instead we found a new golf shirt for him. It's nice for him to shop in a store where everything is Benny sized.

I'm not so lucky. I swear the women's clothing is for children, not grown women. Here is the only thing that fit me in the store.

I also picked up some leg warmers for Olivia. I'll post photos of her wearing them soon.

For dessert I passed on cheesecake to go check out the hugely popular Yogurtland, frozen yogurt shop, that opened July 3 in American Village.

Brooke, the 16 year old babysitter, recommended it. You feel your cup with frozen yogurt, and toppings. The cost is per weight. 200 yen for 100 grams doesn't sound like a lot. But grams add up fast and Brooke said she once had dessert there for 1,500, equivalent to $16.

Benny kept me in check and we shared a bowl for 800 yen.

We loved it and can't wait to go back. It looks like Yogurtland will be a staple in our date night adventures.

3 comments:

Drea said...

That sounds like a very fun and relaxing date--a little B and M time! Three cheers for the Vteam and Brooke!

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

One of the cast members from Real World is from here and he and a buddy just opened a Japanese-inspired Yogurt shop that sound exactly like the one in this post...maybe I should try it out? Your comments on clothes made me laugh!

Six days, Michelle. Six days! I'm so sad I can't see you!

Patti Kent said...

YUM! Now I want some yogurt with fruit! That looks really good. That is also a cute picture of you guys :)