Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Staycation Day 2

Benny reminded me that our Martin Luther King Weekend in Motobu was a Staycation, hence the titled of this blog.

On Sunday morning, we enjoyed a breakfast buffet at the hotel that included all the random Japanese food before going to Ocean Expo Park for the race. Ocean Expo Park is home to the second largest aquarium in the world, along with other parks and museums. Benny and I have only been to the aquarium and the gardens for the orchid festival last year.

The Ocean Expo National Trim Marathon was AWESOME. The weather was sunny, no rain. The crowds were large. Benny did the 10K and finished in time to join Olivia and I for the Family 3.5K race. There were eisa drummers alongside the path, cheering you on. Children as young as 2 were walking alongside their parents and grandparents. Olivia in her stroller was among friends. The race started with fireworks and event is just another example of the healthy lifestyle incorporated into Japanese culture.

Here are families having picnic lunches of rice, noodles and fruit after the race. Another Japanese thing that I wish I could bring back to the States with me.

Olivia fell asleep in her stroller just as our race was starting. Poor girl, she missed the main event. We threw the green towel we got for participating over her.


But I am PRETTY bummed that no one told me that I was encouraged to dress in a costume for the race.





After a hot shower and a change of clothes, we ate at Pizza in the Sky, a popular restaurant known for its excellent Italian pizza and tasty Japanese salads.

And the view isn't bad.



Next Stop: NEO Park, a small zoo designed for children.










We ended the evening with a dip in the indoor pool back at the hotel.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

I'm sorry, did I miss the onsen explanation? Because I only remember seeing it on facebook (twice) and not here ...

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

You guys get to do the coolest things...and I'm with Tammy, onsen?