Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Unplugged and lovin' it

One month ago, Benny posted a silly video of him and Olivia. I didn't know that he posted it until I got an email from my cousin about it. At the time, things were a bit hectic. I was super sick with a head cold. I was working to get ahead at work, so my 2-week absence wouldn't be such a huge deal. And I also had the privilege of attending a Japanese fashion show (more on that later). I didn't pack until the hours before we boarded the plane. In all, I wasn't well prepared for this trip. I was just hoping to survive and reminded myself that this was our final roundtrip airplane ride between Okinawa and the United States.

Then on the 14-hour flight, I thought about this story I heard on NPR about unplugged vacations. No blackberry. No iPhone. No Facebook status updates. No blogging. No email. And in my head, it sounded like a dream.

I needed to break from the constant chatter generated by myself on the Internet. I needed to have conversations with those I was visiting. I wanted to live in the moment. No regrets. So that's what I did.

Now I'm back in the flow at work, facing the reality of my upcoming plan to hike Mount Fuji in 2 months. The suitcases are unpacked. The photos are uploaded from the camera. It's time to face reality and plug back in.

Sorry I was gone. I'm back. And I promise I won't unplug anytime soon.

3 comments:

Meli said...

You don't have to apologize! Can't wait to hear about your trip and see some pictures. Thanks so much for the postcard, my book is all filled up!

Tammy said...

No need to apologize! I think it's great you took a break. But I am looking forward to hearing more about your trip - and the fashion show! And, yes, I realize I just copied Mel. But the sentiment is the same :-)

Drea said...

Welcome back. Missed you, but am really glad you were able to live it up sans technology :)