Sunday, May 1, 2011

Hit the Restart Button

On Saturday, February 25, we left Okinawa, Japan. We said goodbye to our friends the days prior to our flight. Many of these friends are in the Navy, Marine Corps or Army, so it wasn't hard to say goodbye to them-- in all likelihood we will see them again.

It's the friends who are Okinawans, like Benny's co-workers, my co-workers, and Olivia's daycare providers. These men and women taught us (with patience) about Japan for the past three years. Ask what I miss about Okinawa and without a doubt, it's the people.

Olivia received this Hello Kitty pillow as a farewell gift from her daycare.
After checking in for a military flight at 7 a.m., boarding at 9:30 a.m., stopping at two military bases in mainland Japan and surviving another (and hopefully last) Pacific flight, we landed at around noon in Seattle. We caught our flight to Minnesota and gathered up our six bags of luggage (!), two backpacks, one diaper bag, one purse and one toddler without losing anything or anyone.

I planned to take a photo of us with our avalanche of suitcases, but I was too tired, confused by the time change and plain dirty to orchestrate the documentation. Take my word for it: six suitcases. Picture it. It wasn't pretty.

I don't remember what was my first reaction to moving back to America. Mostly I felt like I was on vacation. In some ways I still feel that way. I keep thinking that I'm going back to Japan. I wonder how long until I realize that we aren't going back.

The first week back meant a lot of running around reestablishing our American lives. The restart button on our lives was pushed. The first thing we did was buy a brand new car, that was made in Japan.

Olivia's sweet 16 birthday gift.
Yup, our 2011 Subaru Forester was built in Japan and sold to us in Burnsville, Minnesota. No, the irony is not lost on us.

4 comments:

Lora said...

Isn't it funny how you keep running into Japan now that you're back in the States? Like the Japanese pagoda in DC? :)

Peter said...

Subaru Forester? How many kids can that haul around? Me thinks not enough!

Welcome back (officially) to the states, V-Team!

BennyV said...

Peter, are you crazy? Some families of five can squeeze into a Forester. I think we'll be alright, or we're going to have to start throwing baggage overboard. I'd be embarrased if three of us can't fit into the Forester.

Peter said...

Who says that there will be only three of you by the time this Forester has bit the dust? Buying a car is a prophetic action . . . we bought a minivan earlier this year in anticipation of that day when our little band will grow ever larger . . .