Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Toddler Theatre

How young is too young for a child's first live theatre performance? Normally I would say that five years old and under is too young to appreciate the choreographed dancing and live action singing without the ability to pause the movie for potty breaks. Unless, of course, that child is my two-year-old daughter, then she is the appropriate age for this experience. Plus I was really missing community theatre.

I have a soft spot in my heart for community theatre. Growing up, my mom would take my sisters and I to Elkader Opera House to see the annual children's musicals. It was a big deal to us to see "Peter Pan" and "Annie" and even though the actors and actresses were members of our church and teachers at our school, when I was a child, I truly believed that woman was Miss Hannigan. Somewhere there is a photo of a bewildered Colleen (my younger sister) shaking hands with Captain Hook. Musicals are part of my family memories and I couldn't wait to create new memories with Olivia.

I got my opportunity when I took Olivia to see "Narnia," presented by the Thurmont Thespians. I wasn't sure if she would sit through the entire show. But I hoped she would. Remember, I really really wanted to see it.

As the show began, Olivia sat quietly watching the children's production. She smiled as the kids sang and dance in their creative costumes. I thought this bonding moment was a success until intermission.

After a 15-minute cookie break, Olivia declared she was ready to "go home." Then she was intrigued by the lion until of course he was killed. (Another error for my rookie mother mistakes list. Must preview musicals before viewing and try to find ones that don't involve death.) So as the lion's mane and tail was cut off, Olivia kept passionately yelling "What's happening? What's happening? Get up lion!" This evoked chuckles from the parents while I whispered that the lion was sleeping. Luckily the lion returns.

In the end Olivia made it to the end of the show and clapped enthusiastically as the cast took their bows in this nearly three-hour show. I had a tear in my eye. Our first mother-daughter theater show. Sure it wasn't perfect or pretty. Still it was a show I'll never forget. One for the memory bank.

1 comment:

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

haha, I can just see you guys as the lion is "dying" HAHAHAHA