Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Mardi Gras

I've been homesick for the United States. Mostly after watching the Super Bowl on Monday morning, instead of Sunday night. It's NOT the same. So to counteract that feeling, I researched and made shrimp creole for Mardi Gras. Sure, I'm not from Louisiana and in fact, I've never been to Mardi Gras. But that's doesn't mean I don't dream of attending some day. If I lived in the United States, I would be able to attend a Mardi Gras celebation SOMEWHERE. On Tuesday. Here there are having a celebration at the club on base on Friday. Friday?!?! Lent has set in by Friday (whine).

Besides making shrimp stock for the first time in my life, I also hoped to get Mardi Gras decorations, masks, etc and teach O about this wonderful American holiday. But there wasn't any decorations at the store.

So we were left with spicy shrimp creole and a bottle of French wine purchased duty free at the Hong Kong International Airport.

Drink up stateside readers. Keep the celebration going for me.

1 comment:

Meli said...

I split a bottle of boons farm (I'm not sure its even considered wine really) tonight with a friend and watched countless hours of The Office. Talk about a party. Well, I did get to soak in the hot tub for a bit, that was nice, so I guess I'm not a huge old sad sack, yet. I'm not even sure what this story has to do with you missing the states but I felt the need to share. I never want to go to Mardi Gras but thats just me. I don't like huge crowds of people, especially when they might throw things at me.