Sunday, February 7, 2010

This weekend

This weekend I was hoping to take Olivia to a sunflower festival, but the rainy and windy weather kept us away. Instead she had a stroller ride through the small mall near our house. Definitely not the same.

This weekend was a quiet weekend at the Volkmann household. On Friday night we had a Navy dinner followed by a girls night out for me. One of my co-workers is leaving Okinawa and moving to Hawaii, so I was the DD for the evening.

On Saturday morning, Benny told Olivia to Alligator Steps, followed by long naps for everyone. Then the stroller ride through the mall, I talked about earlier. In the evening, Olivia went to the Give Parents a Break night at the daycare on base while Benny and I celebrated Valentine's Day earlier with dinner and massages. Yes, I feel more relaxed and it was wonderful.

We ate dinner at one of my favorite places, but ordered something new:

The fish of the day. What kind? I have no idea. But this is the small fish and it was cookied in garlic butter and served to you like this. Eyes. Teeth. Head. Everything.

And then you use your chopsticks to tear into this fish's flesh and chow down.

I have PLENTY of Okinawans ordered fish and eat it like this. But I was always kind of nervous to do it myself. Benny and I shared this small mystery fish.



It was easier than I expected. It didn't hurt that the fish was super tasty.
On Sunday it was the usual rountine: church, grocery store, lunch and an afternoon at home talking to family back in the States.

Quiet but fun.

4 comments:

Meli said...

Mmmm you had me at "cooked in garlic butter"


sooooooo tasty I can smell it from here

Peter said...

Mmmm, you had be at "delicately fried giant fish eyeballs staring at me in pain, screaming 'why me?'"

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

YUCK! No way would I eat it if it had eyeballs!

BennyV said...

But the eyeballs were the best part!