Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Olivia, are you ready for your first frost bite?

Baseball. Hot dogs. Beer. My three loves and I love when I can have all three at the same time. That's why when Benny's brother, Jon, emailed us about going to a Minnesota Twins baseball game, I immediately say "yes" and started researching the hot dog options.

See, the Twins have a new outdoor(!) stadium. Not that I completely hated the Metrodome ... but as a Cubs fan, it's not a baseball game until you have to worry about sunburned skin or freezing to death. Not to mention the rain. The elements are what make baseball great.



But I do like the Dome dogs. I'm going out on a limb here to say that Dome dogs are my favorite stadium meal. That is until I ate the Dugout Dog at Target Field. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Back to the game.

Jon did a terrific job of rounding up the Volkmann clan and we had an adults-only day at the baseball field (plus baby Olivia and nephew Luke).

The weather report showed a cold forecast. Partly cloudy, with a high of 50 degrees. Yes in May. Ah, Minnesota springs. At least Olivia will get plenty of wear out of her winter coat while we are here.



We took the light rail to the stadium and I cracked up as I listened to the Minnesota accents surrounding us. Three women had an indepth conversation about soil for their garden. What stores had soil on sale this week ... How much they needed to buy... etc. All with that adorable Minnesota accent.

Once we settled into our seats Brother-in-law Bob and I immediately went to get the beer and dogs. I first sampled the Twin dog with chili and cheese. I thought the chili would warm me up from the inside out. Next I had regular Twin Dog and then I closed out the 7th inning with a Dugout Dog, an old-fashioned beef and pork dog that is sold in the stands. Besides being super tasty, I loved passing my money down the row as the hot dog was passed to me.

All hot dogs aside, the game was good. It didn't rain. But it wasn't warm. Olivia was bundled up with multiple layers, but we still had her wear her new Twins T-shirt from Target on the outside of her sweater.

No, Olivia didn't get her first frost bite. And she didn't get her first bite of hot dog either.

2 comments:

Drea said...

I love the pictures of you and Olivia. They are precious!

Tammy said...

Hold the phone. Dodger dogs aren't your favorite?