Saturday, June 26, 2010

When I'm not writing here

Last December, I started a new job. Same company. Same branch. Different office. Different position. A step in the right direction for me.

Instead of working in customer service, I now work as a writer/editor. I know most people are either writers or editors, but in this unique job I divide my time doing a little bit of both.

In this job, I write ad copy for posters, pamphlets, Web pages, coupons, and newspaper advertisements. Obviously I have no background in this speciality, so I've been studying ad copy writing techniques and trying to learn a lot from my co-workers. Last week I wrote ad copy for Guitar Panda, a famous Japanese guitarist who performs in a panda costume. And here's the kicker: it's not for children.

Also in this job, I write cultural feature articles for our monthly magazine. This award-winning magazine is definitely the place that every writer and photographer on Okinawa wants to work. (I've been waiting for a writing position to open up for nearly 2 years.)

So far, I've had a photo essay on Chinese New Year in Hong Kong published, along with a feature about a professional Japanese golfer. He recently competed at the U.S. Open at Pebble Beach. Too bad, I couldn't interview him. The language barrier is definitely the most frustrating thing about this job. And it's all on me. If only I studied Japanese ....

Currently I'm writing a piece about Tokyo street fashion. I'm actually procrastinating over it while writing this post.

As research for this article, I attended a fashion show in Okinawa at the end of April. It was a long day with a photographer and Japanese translator.













After this feature, I'm planning to write something about locally made cheese (as long as I can get permission to visit a goat farm, something about foot and mouth disease is holding me up) and karate greats on Okinawa (the birthplace of karate).

1 comment:

Lora said...

Congratulations on the promotion!