Thursday, February 10, 2011

Sapporo Snow Festival


Five years ago, my sister Rachel gave me the book "1,000 Places to See Before You Die," and I put it on the shelf and didn't think about it again until we moved to Japan. As I was planning our travels in Asia, I immediately opened this book and read the eight must-see places in Japan. Immediately I worked to check things off the list.

Cherry Blossoms. Check.
Climb Fuji. Check.
Kyoto. Check.
Tsukiji Fish Market. Check.

When we got news that we would be moving to Maryland in March, I soon realized that I wouldn't be able to do everything that I want to do in Japan, but there was one last must-do thing I had to do: the Sapporo Snow Festival.

According to the book, the festival started in 1950 after some high school students sculpted six snow statues. Today, two million people visit the festival and 38,000 tons of snow are trucked into the city of Sapporo for this one-week festival in February. The sculptures are as large as buildings and have impressive details. At night, they use lights to accent the snow.

Sapporo Snow Festival. Check.

No comments: