Sunday, August 24, 2008

Living my dream


This afternoon, I, Michelle Marie Volkmann, was a judge in a Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest.

Hold your applause please. Try not to be too jealous. It was chance, luck and volunteerism that gave me this grand opportunity.

Since I work for the Marine Corps Community Services (MCCS) in the marketing department, I have a variety of job duties. Mostly my daily routine in the consumer relations office involves fielding inquires, answering complaints, compliments and suggestions and conducting surveys. It isn't my first calling, but it's a foot in the door. Plus I'm learning something new and adding diversity to my resume.

Consumer relations is a very small part of the marketing department. The rest of the department is made up of writers, graphic artists, sponsorships representatives and account executives. They all get more of a hands-on approach to promoting the programs and facilities managed by MCCS. They have their faces out there. I'm more in the office. I'm more of the background.

One of the events that MCCS Marketing helps organize in a Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest during a Marine Corps base's fair open to the public. When the account executive asked for volunteers to be judges, I was the first to respond "yes." I was probably the only one to say "yes."

And why was I so excited? Because I love hot dogs and I love watching people eating hot dogs (made of 100% beef) in a competitive process. It's truly American.

Being a judge was easy. Since we were shorthanded, Benny even got to help out. I had three contestants to watch to make sure that they didn't cheat or throw up. As they ate a dog, I put their hot dog sleeve in a pile to be counted at the end. And one of my three contestants was the winner! 12 hot dogs in 12 minutes. His prize? Two round trip airline to anywhere in the United States. Pretty sweet, huh.

Only one person puked and luckily I didn't see that. If I did, I'm not sure how long I would have lasted as a judge.

My prize for volunteering? A T-shirt and a Nathan's hot dog.

Isn't life grand?

7 comments:

Drea said...

Dude!! That is awesome! I would eat hot dogs for a trip. And, I can put food away! Miss you guys!

BennyV said...

Guess who's contestant had the misfortune of a "hot dog reversal" incident? Yes, that was mine. She was a trooper. She had an incredible pace going off the bat, but her intestines could not keep up with the space requirements of her chompers.

I did have the honor of judging the 3rd place winner of 2 tickets to Oki-Napa (9 hot dogs).

Meli said...

wow that's an awesome prize!
you sure are getting crazy life experience over there!

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

I can totally seeing you doing this - and LOVING every minute Mrs. Michelle.

Sweet Cheeks said...

for that prize, baby habeck and I so could have been a real competitor - I am such a consumer these days.

Meli said...

ooooooh I like the added photos!

Alicia said...

Please tell me that they didn't dip the hot dog buns in water...... Actually don't tell me cause if the answer is yes, I think that I will throw up in my mouth!!!