Friday, April 17, 2009

Olivia's baptism


On the last day that my mom was here, Olivia was baptized at the base chapel by two Navy chaplains.

Benny and I knew we wanted to baptize Olivia here at the church service that we regularly attend. The chaplains and parish members have been so supportive during my pregnancy, we thought it was the right thing to do. And even though she was only three weeks old at the time we held the ceremony on March 29, so my mom could be here for it.

The chaplain did a wonderful job of making the ceremony special and tailored the wording to match our religious beliefs. Unforunately Olivia's godparents, Auntie Patti and soon-to-be Uncle Bob couldn't attend. But again the chaplain mentioned their names several times in the ceremony and noted how they will play a special role in Olivia' life. He also included my mom in the ceremony, which I really appreciated.



We invited a few of our friends to the service. They joined us for coffee, cake, fruit and doughnuts afterward. The doughnuts were gone before I had any, so I ate two pieces of baptism cake for breakfast.

Everyone took turns holding Olivia, which she loved.


Afterward we went home and relaxed while Olivia slept. Benny made banana pancakes for the first time and they were delicious. In the afternoon we chatted on Skype with our Yuma friends, Andrea and Jeremy, who had former Yumans, Tammy and Chris visiting them. This was the first time they saw little Olivia on the web cam. Ah, the Internet makes keeping in touch so easy.

5 comments:

Tammy said...

So great that they made the baptism special for Olivia, grandma and her godparents. And, yum, banana pancakes!

Drea said...

Hi, is the couple from UNR holding Olivia in the picture?

volksbloggin said...

Yes, how could you tell they were from Reno?

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

Totally cool!

I still need to figure out if I have a video camera on my computer.

Drea said...

I recognize him, and maybe her too. But for sure him.