Monday, March 2, 2009

Viking Invasion

As everyone knows the V-Team lives in a house divided. I'm a Packers fan and Benny is a Vikings fan. And on most days of the year we are able to put our differences aside. There are only three days a year that are truly challenging for our marriage: the two regular season games and that occasional playoff match between Green Bay and Minnesota.

For years we have talked about constructing a rotating trophy that will proclaim the winner each season. I used to crow about that when the Packers were winning. Now that the Vikings won the last game between these two teams, I haven't brought it up. On the other hand, Benny displays his Vikings scarf as a trophy in the foyer of our home.

I told him to take it down after the Super Bowl. The football season is over. It's time to start fresh. Yet, the scarf remains there tauting me every time I come home.

Then last week we received a baby gift from our friends, Andy and Alicia. Andy, like Benny, is from Minnesota and is a Vikings fan. And Alicia, like me is from Iowa. But she is, sadly, not a Packers fan. But she is able to make blankets and she made the blanket (picture below) for Baby Volkmann.



I can't flip it over because the backside is even worse: It's the Iowa Hawkeyes.

4 comments:

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

Really, the Hawkeyes? She must have been REALLY confused. Just go with the Vikings in that case!

Black and gold should never be let into ANYONE'S HOME!

Meli said...

Hummm I forget lost of people didn't live just outside a major sports city. Strange the things you take for granted growing up that way.

Looks like you had fun though! How exciting! Sports here are a joke, I just head back up to PA. I was in the mall yesterday and there was a whole store full of Redskins crap. I'm lucky I didn't toss my cookies all over the place.

volksbloggin said...

In Alicia's defense, she said she looked high and low for Cyclones material for the blanket.

Alicia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.