Thursday, June 18, 2009

Come on down!

You're the next contestant on The Price is Right!

You are bidding on an delicacy found in the produce section, shipped from the USA. Fresh fruit is often seen as a luxury, and is a popular gift brought to a host's house from the guests.


So in a game we're calling What, did you buy them at Starbucks?, contestants will take a guess at the cost of a bowl of cherries (in Yen). The contestant closest to the actual retail price without going over will win a fabulous prize.

This contest will close at 11:59PM CST on June 23.

Congratulations to our previous contest winner, Melinda of Stafford, VA for guessing correcting in Time that Smile.

Most fruit in the store (local store or on base at the commissary) is seasonal and is shipped in from the states (at the commissary) or from neighboring countries (at the local markets). The last two weeks have been especially exciting since we've been able to buy cherries! Most fruit that comes from the states seems to be about a week old, and isn't as fresh as the produce out in town (although it usually is a little cheaper on base).

One of the biggest struggles I face here is dealing with the one habit I got from my parents that I haven't been able to kick - fruit addiction. If I could only stick to three servings a day, imagine how much Olivia would have for college in just the three years we'll be on Okinawa.

7 comments:

Tammy said...

1800 yen. (I have no idea what the conversion is, so this is a stab in the dark.)

Lora said...

767.644 yen. Convert that back to USD, and you'll know how much I had to pay for a bag of cherries last week. They were definitely worth every penny.

Unknown said...

Hi Michelle,

Gorgeous baby! We are so happy for you. She is beautiful. Laura passed this on and we are all in ah of her.

This is Kristen at WorkCompCentral. Could you please contact me because I need to pass some info on to you?

Kristen Chavez

volksbloggin said...

Hey Kristen,
Please email me at michelle.volkmann@gmail.com and we'll chat up.
-- Michelle

Meli said...

Holy Crap Lora, you sure paid a lot for cherries!! I thought I paid out the butt when I spent 677.490 yen (but in $$) the other day. So tasty tho, so tasty.

That's my guess by the way. I also got quite a lot of cherries, there was still sticker shock tho.

Unknown said...

Well???

BennyV said...

The judges are sifting through the ballots. Hold on there killer.