Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Olivia's First Trip to San Diego


After traveling to San Diego for holidays and weekends for years (escape from Yuma and home cooking when we lived in Oxnard) it felt like a homecoming to touch down in San Diego.

Olivia had her first lunch at Soup Plantation (my favorite buffet restaurant), Andrea bought Olivia her first tutu at Marshall's.

Then we picked up my parents at San Diego Airport as part one of Mission: Surprise Lydia on her 80th birthday. In the backseat, my dad met Olivia in person. It was their first encounter.

In the morning, part two of the surprise mission went into full effect. Mom called Grandma and said her and Dad were on their way to her house for breakfast. Yes they arrived fine. No, they did not need Peter to come find them and take them to her house. Yes, they would be there soon. Once she hung up the phone, my mom breathed a sigh of relief. The surprise news would be revealed in minutes.

It seemed like my mom and I have been planning this surprise forever. But considering my grandmother has been planning her 80th birthday since she was 78 years, 364 days old, this decision was relatively soon. My mom and I first talked about it when she was visiting me in March. We knew that we were going to the States in August and that Patti was getting married in late August, but we could be there as early as Aug. 12. And since I love surprises and my grandmother has been know to pull some surprises on other family members, it was on! I was up for the challenge of creating fake itineraries, giving most people false information and telling no one that we were stopping in San Diego.

At 9 a.m. Olivia, Benny and I rang Lydia's doorbell. I heard her and my dad's brothers and sisters talking inside. I heard her sister and brother-in-law chatting in German. And then she opened the door. And we yelled "Surprise. Happy Birthday." And she stopped and stared at us. And stared. And stared. And I gave her a hug and then the realization of us standing in her home finally set in.

There were lots of tears and many smiles. I forgot to take any photos of that moment. I think my aunt Becky might have some. If I locate some, I'll post them.

Olivia's first surprise was a success! Along with meeting her great grandmother for the first time.

3 comments:

Drea said...

I love the picture of Olivia with her namesake! Two beautiful ladies...

Tammy said...

I get choked up just reading this - such a great surprise!

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

That is a great picture of Olivia with her GGma. And what a great story!