Monday, September 7, 2009

Trip of Firsts

In 2000, former Des Moines Register feature writer Ken Fuson wrote a yearlong series call "A Year of Firsts," chronicling Iowans doing something for the first time. Most of the short pieces were cheesy and dealt with children (ie. first haircut, first Easter dress) and at the time of publication I greatly mocked Fuson's column.

But after becoming a mother for the first time 6 months ago and taking my daughter to meet her extended family for the first time, I've been knocked on the head by the greatness of Fuson's idea. And I'm so fond of this idea, that I plan on stealing it for the blog recap of our trip to the States.

It was a natural choice. Olivia experienced numerous firsts during the monthlong trip, ranging from the typical baby firsts as her first solid food to the typical Iowa first of her first tractor ride.

This is the first blog idea I've ever stolen. But I'm sure it won't be the last.

2 comments:

Drea said...

Awesome...I can't wait to read it.

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

Bring them on...can't wait to read them!!