Friday, March 19, 2010

an ill Olivia

Olivia has been sick some kind of killer upper respiratory virus plaguing the island. We have been VERY fortunate that Olivia has been such a healthy girl for her first year of life. Up until this week, she has had a runny nose twice and twice went home from daycare with a fever, both times caused by a tooth that was popping through the gum as diagnosed by Dr. Mom.

So I had no experience caring for a sick child. And then I was faced with this. The fever started on Sunday afternoon, welcomed Monday morning by throwing up a few times, followed by a smoker's cough, combined with a constant runny nose while lead to a whiny Olivia only wanted to be held by her mother. And I'm not a fan of sitting in one place for more than an hour. Her fever lasted all week and I was so concerned that on Wednesday I took her to see the doctor, convinced that she was suffering from her first ear infection. Nope, her ears are clean as a whistle, the doctor answered, tapping a crying Olivia on the head and sending us on the way.

I missed the whole week of work. Olivia missed a week at daycare. And I considered investing in some earplugs because the constant whining sound coming from Olivia's lips was started to cause mommy meltdowns. So Benny substituted for me on Friday night, so I could take a shower, brush my teeth and leave the house to see a movie. When I returned two hours later, I felt refreshed and with a slight tickle in my throat.

As I climbed into bed, I started coughing and felt like I couldn't stop. This morning I woke up to a stuffy nose and sore throat. Olivia woke up with a smile for the first time in days, laughing and without a fever. Looks like she'll make a full recovery.

I guess it's true what they say: The best way to get rid of a cold is to give it someone else.

No comments: