Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Sports .. Time Waster or Best Way to Fill Your Time

March Madness, the Big Dance, starts this week and even though my beloved Iowa State Cyclones aren't in it (instead Northern Iowa will be representing corn fields), I still plan to watch as many games as possible. I completed my bracket and can't wait to see the first upset. I'm one of those people who does less work during the month of March due to my love of the game. In fact, last year I didn't complain about middle of the nights feeding with Olivia because of the NCAA Tournament. Basketball is LIFE.

But it's not only basketball. I'm a football fan and watch college football on Sunday mornings here in Okinawa and Monday Night Football (NFL) on Tuesday mornings at work (in the background). I participate in a Fantasy Football league (last year I got second place). I adore the bowl season. Football is LIFE.

Last month, I watched only a few hours of the Olympics. A darn shame, if you ask me. I was nearly tempted to send a strongly worded complaint letter to AFN for showing all the coverage during the day when I was at work and couldn't waste hours trying to figure out the object of curling. But I did schedule my lunch hour around the men's and women's figure skating finals. I just HAD to. I had to watch. The Olympics are LIFE.

Baseball spring training is back and I was happy to catch a game on AFN. Once I missed work, so I could attend Opening Day at Dodger Stadium. I HAD to do it. Baseball is LIFE.

Sports are the reason that I don't get all the blogging done that I want to do. If I didn't like sports, I would probably have already knitted hats for my family, finished 100 Years of Solitude for next week's book club meeting and be able to complete a master's degree online. Instead I choose sports, a sedentary activity that sucks my free time. Maybe I should just walk away from sports. Forget live television for a while. Focus on work and my 10-year goals.

And I will. Just one more March Madness. After all I already finished my brackets. Go Syracuse!

No comments: