Monday, March 1, 2010

On the hunt for a tiger hat


After the Buddha experience, we headed to Victoria Park and followed the signs to a New Year's Eve Fair and Flower Market.

The book I read recommended the Flower Market. It's only once a year and only for the Chinese New Year. Since it was New Year's Eve (Feb. 13), this was THE day to buy flowers for loved ones. And with the double whammy holiday of Valentine's Day (yes the Chinese were celebrating this saint with chocolates and roses, too) falling on the Chinese New year, Chinese florists were very happy businessmen.

Just as we reached the edge of the park, the rain started. It rained practically all weekend. It wasn't a downpour that would force you inside. It was a soft, constant sprinkle that made my hair look ridiculous, kept everything constantly damp, and made an umbrella a necessary item.



Walking from the subway station, I first spotted the tiger hat.



I turned to Benny. I MUST have that for the Chinese New Year ... the Year of the Tiger. Plus it was cold and this hat would keep my ears warm and cover my frizzy hair.

We fought through the crowd and spotted more tiger hats. And more hats.



Until finally I saw a booth where I could buy one.



And for 100 Hong Kong dollars (conversion approximately $10) the hat was mine. I'm a big fan of the hat.





Olivia not so much.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Nice pick. I definitely like your tiger hat better than those orange ones :-)

Meli said...

Oh I am in love with your tiger hat Michelle! Totally awesome.

Drea said...

Oh, you should wear that every Chinese New Year! Awesome!