Tuesday, January 29, 2008

One room at a time


Getting organized and killing clutter isn't easy.

My solution: move.

There is something to be said about unpacking and repacking your possessions every two years. You realize how much unnecessary crap a person accumulates and exactly how unnecessary it is. Even though the movers box up every item in my house, I still "organize" it weeks before they arrive. To me it's a healthy cleansing process of eliminating unwanted or unneeded things.

I tackle one room at a time and do not work on the process for more than two hours. You would be amazed by all the items that Benny and I have collected along the way. And most of it we do not need any more. Or we can't remember why we have it or who gave it to us.

For example, on Monday I cleaned our tiny kitchen. Here is the extra stuff I found.

* About 20 wine glasses, eight champagne glasses and four margarita glasses. Now I know that we drink, but we don't drink that much.

* Three lunch sized coolers. You know what I'm talking about: those small travel coolers. We have a total of five. Why? We get free ones at promotional events and keep them for some unknown reason. I made Benny decide which two to keep. He decided to stick with his tried and true Twins lunch cooler. Good choice, Benny.

* Five vegetable peelers. Apparently I either forget that I have a potato peeler or don't like it so I buy another one. This is ridiculous. Good thing my mom gave me a Pampered Chef one for Christmas. I can actually work that one. The rest are banned from my kitchen.

* One cookbook. I had no idea where this cookbook came from. I pointed the finger at Benny. He must have bought it once. Then he pointed it back at me. I must have purchased it at a flea market. Finally we figured out that it was a bridal shower gift. Good lord. That was way too much thinking involving a cookbook.

So that was the kitchen. Today's mission is the living room including a healthy stack of books, CDs and DVDs.

5 comments:

rkann13 said...

Well if you need to get rid of any kithen cookware that would look nice in my apartment for next fall let me know. :)

Sweet Cheeks said...

I hate clutter! But wait, we just moved. Crap. When Jackson deploys, I'm having MAJOR garage sales. I'd rather be bare bones then live in this clutter! ;-) Oh, I'm keeping my cookbooks though!

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

How much of that was wedding gifts? As sad as it sounds, we still have wedding gifts in the box in our house. At this point I'm afraid we'll never use it, but you can't get rid of it.......what if so and so comes and actually asks about it? I don't envy you having to clean everything!

BTW, have your book. LOVED IT! Need to return it so you can find a pile to put it in :)

volksbloggin said...

yes, we are finding wedding gifts that we have never opened or used. That's the toughest decision to make.

TammyK said...

Kati, I already called all the extra books so whatever it is you can just send it my way ;)