Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Rookie mom to the rescue

When Benny blogs he calls Olivia the newest rookie of the V-Team. Somehow I think Olivia isn't the only rookie. On most days it is me, Rookie Mom.

Case in point: Last Thursday night, Benny scheduled mandatory Navy fun for Olivia and I. It was the first dinner out for Olivia with her dad's fellow engineering officers and their spouses. I thought about declining the invitation and sending Benny solo. But I really enjoy the food at this particular restaurant (it's traditional Okinawa food from locally grown veggies) so I nodded yes, when he asked if I was still in at 6 p.m.

At the time I was feeding Olivia and hoping she would fall asleep. After all, she hadn't slept for more than 15 minutes at daycare that day (more on our little Catnap Cathy later). Apparently the action of breastfeeding automatically turned off my accurate hearing, so when Benny asked "Is the diaper bag ready to go?" I answered yes. In fact this diaper bag was packed with only one diaper and nothing else.

I nodded yes because I heard Benny ask "Do you need me to get the diaper bag ready?"

Fast forward to the drive to the restaurant, Olivia decides she is STILL hungry (babies and their constant growth spurts), so at a stoplight I jump in the backseat and feed her from a bottle for the remainder of the drive.

At the restaurant I want to burp her, but can't find a burp cloth, receiving blanket or anything else that will remedy this situation. Yes, we carried in an empty diaper bag into a restaurant without noticing how light it was. So I improvised and used a clean T-shirt (originally packed in my gym bag with every intention of returning to my workout routine in the not-so-distant future) as a burp rag. I wiped my child's mouth with a brightly colored orange and blue tank top from Target. Nice.

Later I changed her diaper in the backseat of the car after I found wipes in the front seat. Luckily, I bought some extras at the store the day before and forgot to carry the wipes into the house when I got home from work. But I didn't have a wet bag for her very dirty cloth diaper. So I tossed it in a blue canvas bag normally used for grocery shopping.

When we got home, Benny put Olivia to bed while I threw her cloth diapers from the day into the washing machine. Included in that load was the blue canvas bag. Does anyone see where this story is going?

The next morning, Benny casually asked what I washed with Olivia's diapers.

"Nothing. Just her diapers."

"Oh, because they are all blue."

My super cool blue grocery bag from Tokyo stained Olivia's diapers. One-third of her diapers now look as though a Smurf rubbed up against them. One-third of her diapers are evidence of my poor planning as a mother and even worse -- my blind eye when it comes to separating laundry.

In the end I learned an important lesson: Always check the diaper bag before exiting your home.

Or be prepared to improvise.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

You may feel like a rookie but that was a seasoned mom's on the spot improvisations. Welcome to motherhood. Good work!

Meli said...

Yeah you seem like a pro to me! Good job!

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

Oh Michelle. I can't help it, I'm laughing out loud. Seriously, some day you're going to look back at this stuff and just laugh and it will all be a distant memory :) You did a great job improvising (I thought I'd get back to my work out routine too - hahah, Tyler's over 2 now, I'm still HOPING). Kudos to you - you're doing a GREAT job. Just smile about it all.

I STILL want to hear about her daycare situation and about these catnaps....and I called you so hopefully we can chat late Friday (after Ty goes to bed around 8-8:30 my time) or Saturday.

Tammy said...

First of all, I cannot tell you how excited I was to see WORDS, GLORIOUS WORDS! Not that the videos aren't adorable, you know, they just don't sustain me in the same way ;) Sounds like you're doing great, and who knows - maybe Olivia wanted some pretty blue diapies?

Sweet Cheeks said...

maddie only slept 10 minutes here and there the first two weeks at daycare and it worried me because i know she would sleep like 2-3 hour long naps at home... but she has adjusted and sleeps much longer there now... it will be ok, just a bit of adjustment is my guess

Kat G said...

OK ... am I the only one who is kind of thinking that maybe Benny should have LOOKED IN THE DIAPER BAG instead of relying on a tired mommy focused on something else to report in correctly? Sigh.

However, kudos to Michelle for having all kinds of stuff in her gear for the baby to bodily fluid all over! Yay!

I love your blog by the way and have become obsessed with Miss Olivia.

Hugs!

BennyV said...

You are right Kat, I should have looked in the diaper bag... but I don't operate well without checklists. But now that we have Glenn & Heather's handy dandy checklist (my dreamlist), I can fulfill my fatherly duties and be held accountable for forgetting the diapers, wipes, burp cloth, socks, bottles, backup bottles, backup onsie, wet bag, camera, blanket, sunglasses, keys, and/or Olivia.

Melissa said...

Benny, that has to top Peter's forgetting Sarah's sippy cup one Sunday as we set off for church! At least he made sure there were diapers, wipes, and snacks in the bag! :)

Michelle, I have a few blue diapers myself . . . only I have NO clue what I washed them with! I also ruined a few of my favorite maternity shirts by washing a blue rug with them. Whoever thought moms should be the ones to remember everything was crazy! When you are sleep deprived and having to remember everything for yourself, your baby, and your husband (your other "kid"), it's impossible to keep track of it all!

Alicia said...

Oh, how we LOVE the V-Team!!!