Friday, December 4, 2009

Sayonara to my 20s

Take a trip back with me to December 1979.

Jimmy Carter was president. Disco was the dance of choice. The Soviets had invaded Afghanistan. American hostages were being held in Iran. It wasn't a white Christmas in Iowa. Almost no snow that winter.

And around 9 p.m. (exactly 2 weeks after her due date) I was born in Prairie du Chien, WI.

This week I celebrated my 30th birthday.



I wasn't the first one of my friends to turn 30. Most of my friends (Dani and Benny are the young ones who are still 29) celebrated this milestone earlier in the year. Dana will check that box next week.

Benny did a wonderful job organizing a birthday barbecue in my honor last Sunday. We had a picnic style birthday party at the beach with MCCS co-workers, Navy friends and book club gals. The weather was sunny and warm. A bit windy, but nice.

This is the first beach bash I've ever had for my birthday. Normally my birthday triggers the first snow of the season and I remember plenty of cold birthday celebration.

We had cheesecake for birthday cake. My favorite.

On my actual birthday, I ate Indian food with a couple of coworkers. Benny delivered flowers and a balloon, which Olivia gets really excited every time she sees it. In the evening, we put O to bed earlier while we ate take out dinner from Macaroni Grill and drank a bottle of wine.

I listened to my phone messages left on our Vonage phone while I was at work. And was happy to get more messages during my stateside birthday.

I had planned to write something profound about my 30th birthday. Reflecting on the past and look forward to the next decade.

This Saturday morning I can't remember what I was going to write.

I'll blame it on my memory. It's going in my old age.

Sayonara 20s. Hello 30s.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Sounds like you had a lovely birthday, Michelle. I wish we could have celebrated with you.