Wednesday, December 9, 2009

You can't do that at a Wille's Thanksgiving


My mom's family always gets together for Thanksgiving. The location rotates between the 11 siblings. But there is always turkey, pie and card playing.

This year, my sister and my aunt missed Wille's Thanksgiving at my Aunt Doris' house. (And so did my sister Rachel. My poor mother had all 3 daughters outside of the United States on Turkey Day.) I knew I couldn't recreate the atmosphere of 60 people stuffed into one house for one day. But I could offer them an experience they wouldn't soon forget: zip lining.

Ever since Forest Adventure opened in the summer of 2008, I've been dying to go. Last year, I couldn't go because of my "condition" aka pregnancy. Benny experienced it with his Navy crew. And I was left to ask some ladies in my office if they wanted to do. All said no.

So as soon as my sister said she was coming, I was plotting about an afternoon at Forest Adventure.


My aunt Kathy was game from the first mention of zipline. Colleen took a little more convincing. In fact I think she wanted to strangle me for suggesting the activity. It didn't help that Benny told her that Forest Adventure is the best because it doesn't have the safety legal paperwork that you would find in the States. Thanks Benny.

When we signed the single waiver promising to follow the rules of Forest Adventure, Colleen turned to me and asked "How many people have died doing this?"

"None. If Americans did get injured in any way, the U.S. government would NOT let Benny do this. It's safe, Colleen, sign the paperwork."

And off we went to the park in the woods.

There was one snag. Kathy didn't have any sneakers packed for the trip and the park wouldn't let you without any other type of footwear. Benny loaned her a pair of his smallest running shoes and bless her heart they worked but provided an extra challenge when climbing the rope ladders.

After we got into our harnesses, the instructor began a safety brief. It was important that we paid attention. After all, we needed to demonstrate that we understand how to hook onto the rope properly before starting the course. Colleen was worried that we wouldn't remember the steps involved. I reassured her it would be easy. Then the instructor proceeded to talk only in Japanese.

A bell went off in my head. This isn't good.

Kathy asked if I understood what he was saying.

"Well I know that aka means red, so something about the red piece. So either we hook that on there like that wait did he just say don't hook it like that."

I tried to ignore his speech and watch his hands.

Then he turned and asked me to demonstrate. I couldn't even get my hook unclipped my hands were shaking so hard.

Colleen said she knew what to do and did with flying colors. You should have see the grin on her face when she landed. And then she explained to me on how to do it properly.

Since Colleen was now our leader we sent her out first across the forest.

Kathy followed.

Soon Colleen was smiling.


Then she was going backwards.

Look ma, no hands.

And even began to ask if we could do it again. Apparently 9 ziplines isn't enough for Colleen.


As a little surprise, there is an obstacle course, which includes a Tarzan swing where you land by slamming your body against a net. Benny called it the bug on the windshield effect. I was too chicken to do it.

Kathy was game.



In the end, we finished. We were sweaty, tired and hungry. And we will probably never have another Thanksgiving like this Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

Drea said...

I want to go!!!

Pops said...

A Thanksgiving Day to remember!