Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving Past

This is our first Turkey Day without turkey, football, family or friends. And even though this holiday will be a nontraditional one for Benny and I, we are taking the time to stop and reflect on our blessings. We are thankful for our friends, family, our stubborn baby, our jobs, our home and our life which allows us to travel to new places this week. I'm also thankful for elastic pants, pumpkin-flavored coffee creamer, ice cream and online shopping ... definitely the Internet.

Today we will write a new page in our Thanksgiving history, which has been fruitful no matter where we were and who we were with. Here is a quick look at our past Thanksgivings.


Thanksgiving 2007: Benny experiences a Wille Thanksgiving at my mom and dad's house in Iowa. Benny had the honor of carving the turkey. I had the joy of telling my 20 aunts and uncles and 25 cousins that we were moving to Japan in the spring.


Thanksgiving 2007: We invited the Olsens over for pre-Thanksgiving meal. I love leftovers that much.


Thanksgiving 2006: I spent Thanksgiving in Colorado with my mom, sisters and the rest of the Wille family. Benny spent the holiday with friends in Yuma, Arizona. I think Andrea and Tammy have photos from that holiday.


Thanksgiving 2006: Again, I made a pre-Thanksgiving meal for Benny and I. Since we spent that holiday apart, I wanted us to share it on the Sunday before the holiday. This was the first turkey I cooked. Quite an accomplishment.

Thanksgiving 2005 and 2004: My memory is a little foggy here, mostly because I can't find any photo documentation of what we did. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think we spent one Thanksgiving in Yuma, where Andrea's mom, Becky flew in from Pittsburgh to make the meal. A group of us ate her terrific cooking at the Yuma townhouse, so that must be Thanksgiving 2005.

That leaves Thanksgiving 2004 at Matt and Roxanne's house in Yuma. That's the first time I had a turkey deep fat fried and Roxanne's delicious cooking. I remember us playing with the fryer later .... something with Twinkies. I brought my "Better than Sex" cake to share with everyone.

Thanksgiving 2003: I flew home to spend the holiday with my family in Iowa. (Until this moment I didn't realize how often I've spent Thanksgiving with the Willes in past years.) Benny spent 8 hours in traffic trying to get to Los Angeles to spend Turkey Day with college friends who now live in California.

Thanksgiving 2002: Benny flew to Wichita Falls, Texas, to visit me over his holiday break. We drove to Fort Worth where we ate turkey with my favorite lady in Fort Worth: J.R.

Thanksgiving 2001: We got in a big fight right before this holiday break and nearly broke up. We didn't talk through the week, but patched things up when we returned for the Iowa-Iowa State game (the muddiest football game in history) on Friday. That was the last fight we had.


I wonder where we will be for Thanksgiving 2009 ....

6 comments:

Alicia said...

Ahhh we miss you! At least the Okinawans celebrate Thanksgiving.... RIGHT????? We'll think of you guys... every red wine sip we take!!

Tammy said...

The last fight you had? Oh, that's a good one.

Peter said...

The last fight you ever had? What, has Benny just rolled over and played dead after any other potential conflict? That's what I do to keep the missus happy...

Lora said...

Hope you guys had a fabulous & memorable Thanksgiving!

Drea said...

Yes, we do have pictures, but I can't figure out how to add them...

We were definitely thinking of you this Thanksgiving, and hoping you were enjoying your adventures.

We are thankful to have you two as friends and can't wait for VBaby!

Rox said...

This year, various pies, cheesecake and chocolate items were sacrificed to the deep-fryer. Surprisingly, the cheesecake wasn't too bad. But the group fav was battered deep-fried turkey, re-deep-fried. Ta-da! Deep-fried turkey nuggets.

This is why I hide in the house when the guys get out the deep-fryer...

Hope your T-Day was wonderful!