Monday, December 15, 2008

Breakfast in Japan

I'm a creature of habit.

On Mondays through Fridays, I eat a bowl of oatmeal or cereal for breakfast. On the weekends, Benny and I make a large breakfast, usually pancakes, eggs and fresh fruit. This is my breakfast routine and I think it's pretty typical of an American.

So when Jeremy asked me what the Japanese eat for breakfast, I was struck by the question. What do the Japanese eat for breakfast?

Driving around Okinawa didn't provide any obvious answers. There aren't restaurants specializing in a morning meal like we have in the States. Sure there are bakeries, but most don't have tables and you can't eat there. I found one coffee shop that served eggs, pancakes and omelets. But I've only seen Americans eat there.

In my quest for an answer, I turned to Google.

On a travel Web site, I found Jeremy isn't the only inquisitive one. One person posted this question: "What would be a recommended traditional Tokyo breakfast be?" before heading to Japan's capital.

Most of the responses were disappointing. Unlike European countries, there isn't a traditional Japanese breakfast. Actually the Japanese can eat anything they want for breakfast. But most eat steamed rice with fish and miso soup. The drink of choice: green tea.

I found an answer, but I wasn't satisfied. I needed to do more research. So I observed Japanese tourists eating at the complimentary breakfast buffet at a hotel in downtown Osaka.

The buffet options were extensive. Besides my American-friendly breakfast choices of scrambled eggs, ham and crescent rolls, the restaurant also served fish, a lettuce salad, canned cocktail fruit, beans, tofu and takoyaki, which is Japanese grilled octopus. The beverage choices were coffee, tomato juice, whole milk and orange juice.

There was no cereal or oatmeal. I wanted to have takoyaki for breakfast since it is one of my favorite foods, but I couldn't do it. My stomach grumbled that it was hungry, but my mind and my mouth said this isn't right. Benny braved it and had takoyaki for breakfast both mornings.

I nibbled on a hard boiled egg as I watched my fellow patrons.

One guy had a tray filled with pancakes, ham, miso soup, a bowl of rice covered in soy sauce and french fries topped with ketchup.

At the table next to me, a woman ate a bowl of cabbage topped with Japanese salad dressing. Then she ate a plate of french fries, two pieces of toast with melted butter and a bowl of miso soup topped with dried seaweed. Next to her, a child was chewing on french fries.

For me, certain foods are clearly defined as appropriate for specific times of day. And even though breakfast can be consumed all day at restaurants such as Denny's or IHOP, steak and mashed potatoes isn't an option at 6 a.m.

The Japanese have a flexibility in their food pairings that doesn't seem to exist in the United States. We are much more rigid in what entrée is properly paired with a side dish. For example, fish is a food for lunch or dinner. It can't be consumed for breakfast.

The one nontraditional breakfast food I wanted -- a bowl of ice cream -- wasn't on the buffet at the hotel in Osaka. Even the Japanese and their attitude of anything goes in the morning draws the line somewhere.

I guess I'll have to eat a plate of french fries with my chopsticks instead.

6 comments:

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

Yeah, I LOVE all of the updates..

Tammy said...

What about bagels and lox? That's fish and that's breakfast. And I think you could get away with a lot of seafood for brunch. Like crab cakes ... mmmm. I could eat breakfast three meals a day. Saturday I had banana pancakes for dinner and Sunday I had scrambled eggs and sausage for a late lunch. (Can you tell I'm starving and waiting for dinner?)

volksbloggin said...

Oh my gosh, I would do ANYTHING for some bagels and lox right now. I wonder if I can find lox around here. The search start for lox starts now ....

Patti Kent said...

I'm a terrible creature of habit with breakfast food in the morning. Sometimes Bob will want to make "breakfast food" for dinner and it freaks me out everytime! LOL...I just had to google lox! ;)

Drea said...

As soon as Jeremy gets in from snowmobiling with my dad I will have him read this blog! Excellent sleuthing, Michelle!

volksbloggin said...

Jeremy is snowmobiling???!!! Ah, Benny and I are jealous of your snow-filled fun now.