Saturday, January 17, 2009

Looking for whales

For the three-day weekend, Benny and I stayed at our favorite military resort -- Okuma. It's the same place we celebrated our wedding anniversary in October. It's on the north, less crowded part of the island.

All week the weather was cold and rainy, but luckily the sunshine came out for the weekend. Benny was able to golf while I slept in. That's my idea of a vacation.

On Sunday afternoon we drove to Hedo Point. It's the northern most point of the island. This time of year it is great for whale watching. Benny spotted a few in the water. I'm not patient enough to stare at the water that long, so I missed all but one whale. We found a relaxing spot to read in the sunshine and enjoy a quiet day.


The view from Hedo Point. Also shown is the shelter where we read and ate a picnic lunch.


Yes, my hair was especially crazy on Sunday. Plus it was super windy. Bad combination for my head.


Bird statue at Hedo Point. All the signs for this bird are in Japanese, so I don't want it is or why it is important. But it must be important because there are signs on the road to watch for it and don't hit it.

On Monday morning we got up at 7 a.m. to watch the last half of the Cardinals game and the entire Steelers game while we ate breakfast and lunch in the bar at the resort. I felt kind of lazy sitting on my butt for five hours straight to watch football, but I was knitting at the same time, so I think it was a pretty productive morning. After lunch we drove back to our house to prepare for the rest of the week.

It wasn't our most exciting vacation, but it was the vacation I needed since my walking stride is now a waddle.

3 comments:

Lora said...

What are you knitting???

BennyV said...

Lora,
Michelle was yarnin a scarf for her sister made from some yarn she bought in Australia last summer.

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

Love all the posts today