Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Obamamania hits the Volkmann house

At 9:20 p.m. on Tuesday night, Benny and I went to bed, so we could get a few hours of sleep before the presidential inauguration. The alarm was set for midnight. We hit the snooze button once before walking in to the study, climbing into the recliner and turning on the television. We watched the coverage live for about 10 minutes before we realized that the swearing-in ceremony wouldn't start for another hour. Benny set another alarm and drifted off to sleep. I was too excited, thinking about this historical moment for the United States. I watched every moment, until my eyelids got really heavy. Luckily just as I fell asleep the alarm went off. We were awake.

We didn't say much as we watched NBC's live coverage of the cheering crowds in the freezing weather in Washington, D.C. We kept our eyes peeled for Tammy, but we didn't see her. We held our breath during the swearing-in ceremony. We listened to Obama's speech. We heard the cheers. And then we went to bed. I wanted to stay up and watch it all, but my tired prego bones couldn't do it.

At 2:30 a.m. we were back in bed. Benny was at work by 6 a.m. I was at work at 7:30 a.m.

I've been dragging all day, so sleepy. And I'm not the only one. The majority of my co-workers watched television all night, didn't sleep at all and then came to work.

Between playoff football and American history, my sleeping pattern is WAY out of whack this week.

No comments: