Monday, July 13, 2009

Club Med: Where Happiness Means Visiting a Different Island


I had island fever and I needed relief. I had been stuck on Okinawa since the Babymoon/29th Birthday Vacation/Thanksgiving to Kyoto and Osaka. Due to the pregnancy I wasn't able to travel from that point on and since we had Olivia I haven't left this island. Benny (lucky duck) has left the island several times for work trips.

And I've always tried to take advantage of the 3-day government worker holiday weekends, so I planned a family vacation for the Fourth of July.

When my co-worker mentioned that she and her husband went to fabulous Club Med for Memorial Day weekend, I booked tickets for the three of us.

In case you don't know what Club Med is (and it doesn't have anything to do with the medical field,) it is a company that first started the all-inclusive vacation concept. One price and one charge to your credit card and that covers your plane ticket, hotel room and all the food and drink at the resort during that time. The concept is that you go to these exotic locations and get pampered in a foreign country without having to see any poverty or hassle with local taxis. (Can you guess that Club Med is a French company?)

Another benefit of Club Med is that they had all kinds of outdoor activities that you can do when you are staying at the resort. For example, I did yoga three times a day there. Benny and I participated in a table tennis tournament. This is how I sold Benny on the idea. Club Med Kibura has a Circus School, included in the price.

But besides trading one beach for another beach, this quick getaway was to test Olivia's traveling skills. And she adapted wonderfully.

Normally you heard of Club Med in the Caribbean or Mexico. We went to the Club Med of Asia, specifically for Japanese tourists. They was a few other Americans there, like us, associated with the military community in Okinawa. But the rest of the guests were from Korea, Taiwan and mainland Japan.

The resort was on a picture perfect beach and our room had a view of the ocean. Olivia loved her Japanese crib, which would never be safe in the United States and the stroller the hotel loaned us was top notch.


We ate well. Lots of fruit, food from everywhere in the world. Wine with every meal. Benny's favorite was the self serve beer machine.


My favorite was the dessert buffet on cheesecake night.


We came home happy and well rested from our relaxing, low-stress vacation. Sure it wasn't your typical Fourth of July, but it was fun. And who can complain when you are sitting by the pool with a pina colada in one hand and your baby girl sitting in your lap while watching your husband swing like Tarzan from the trees. Not this lady.

5 comments:

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

Awesome!! We've been to two all-inclusive places now and we wouldn't travel any other way. Club Med sounds like Sandals, which is always exciting as it = AWESOME!

PS - Glad you explained the circus stuff to us, I was wondering where Benny did all of that :)

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

PPS - the pool party is Friday so 10 p.m. is a better time to call, or if we're home and I get Tyler down before then, I'll call :)

Lora said...

Did you take a pic of the Japanese crib?

volksbloggin said...

No I didn't Lora. I should have though since the bars on the crib were definitely spaced farther away than an American made crib and there was all kinds of blankets and pillows in it. All the stuff that the American doctors warn about. But the reason it is so different is I think the crib was design for a 2-year-old, Japanese children typically co-sleep with their mothers so a crib for a 4 month old doesn't really exist.

Meli said...

awww you looks so pink and happy! I'm sure the only way I'll get on that kind of vacation is if I go with girlfriends. We all know Jason would never go for anything like that!