Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Fuji Tale: Part 1

Whose idea was it to climb Mount Fuji?

That question played over and over in my head during the 7 hours I spent hiking to the top of the highest point in Japan. And the only answer: me.

Flashback to a conversation prior to us moving to Okinawa. Scott Morey, a Navy friend of ours, first tells us about climbing Mount Fuji. Benny and I are receptive to the idea. At this point, I'm in the best shape of my life. I recently did a hard hike in Hawaii. I'm feeling great. I feel like I can climb anything. The seed is planted.

Move to Okinawa. More talk about climbing Fuji. Most of the men I meet tell me that "yes they want to climb it" or "yes, of course, they climbed it." Not one woman tells me she wants to climb it.

Then I get prego with Olivia. Without seeking medical advice, I decide it's not in my best interest to climb Mount Fuji during the summer of 2008.

Next summer, Olivia is 5 months old when Benny climbs Fuji with some CEC buds. He says I can do it next year (our last summer in Okinawa) with some friends. He says I should plan a girls trip to climb the mountain. Yeah, right I think to myself. There is no one who will do that with me.

Enter Tammy and Andrea. The unfortunate souls who volunteered to climb Mount Fuji with me. Way back in January when we started planning their Japanese vacation and finalizing the details of dates, hotel rooms, and plane tickets, I realized that we would be in Tokyo during the prime time to climb the mountain.

So I sent Andrea this email:

Andrea,
What do you think about coming in early August and we climb Mount Fuji together?
Michelle


Andrea's response
Oh my, this sounds adventurous, and scary, and hard, and quite possibly awesome! Do you think we can do it? What is it? Telegraph Pass (in Yuma) times 1,000? I mean, I can do it--right? Talk about a good reason to be in shape (I am totally needing motivation right now, but I will get it.) I am nervous and excited at the same time, so YES--I am totally interested. Holy shit. I can't stop smiling. But, I am totally scared. Can we talk about this in person? Awesome!


And after a phone call with Tammy to finalize the decision it was official-- I was climbing Mount Fuji.

1 comment:

Pops said...

Remind me not to mess with this group of ladies!