Monday, August 23, 2010

No Longer a Baby


Olivia is no longer a baby. After today, the 17-month-old became a pre-toddler (and I have a feeling that pre-teen is right around the corner).

Olivia had her first day in the pre-toddler room today. Sure she is the last one of the "babies" to transfer there, so I'm sure she was glad to rejoin Joshua and Corey (her buds from the nursery.)

I wasn't sure how it would go. I was concerned that she would be jealous of the babies who replaced her in the other room. Or that she would want to go back to her crib for her nap. Or worst yet, not nap at all the entire day and be a crabby mess when I picked her up.

But I was wrong on all accounts.

When I arrive at 5 p.m., her new teacher reported that Olivia did great in her new room. She ate well and thought about using her fork and spoon. I guess she held one in one hand while eating with the other. She followed the other pre-toddlers' lead and slept on her mat with no problems. In fact, she slept for nearly 2 rooms. (That's a new Olivia nap record). And her report said that she had fun making shapes with the play dough, when she wasn't eating it.

And finally her teacher wrote: "Olivia is a very smart child. She understands concepts and I am sure she will begin to talk very soon."

After I grabbed Olivia, we walked by her old room. I noticed that Olivia's crib was no longer her crib. They had already taken down the sign with her name and picture. This is when I got a little sad. My baby is no longer a baby.

1 comment:

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

It's sad but soon you'll forget as she starts talking, using those utensils, cups and drawing you lots and lots of pictures!