Thursday, August 5, 2010

Seeing things in a new light

We are over the hump. If everything goes as planned, we will leave Okinawa in less than a year. No, we don't have orders yet. No, we don't know where the Navy is sending us next. We just know that the plan is for us to move back to the States within the next year.

Living in Japan means constantly learning about a culture that is basically American culture flipped upside down. Everything is different, from the toilets to the food. And for that difference, I'm truly thankful for this opportunity. I got to live in a part of the world that I never studied or read about before moving here. And in the end, I've learned more about my beliefs, my values, and myself than I ever thought was possible. I was confident in myself when I fly to Tokyo for the first time. Today I'm still confident in myself. I just know I'm a new me.

While I'm comfortable with myself, within this country, I continue to feel like an outsider. That is until July 25, when I became a Tokyo tour guide to my friends, Tammy, Andrea and Nicole. Tammy and Andrea, former Yumans like myself, flew together from the States. Nicole is my co-worker here in Okinawa and this was her first girls trip and first trip in Tokyo.

The vacation was short. Two days of sightseeing. Two days to hike Mount Fuji. Four days with three amazing, open-minded, and physically strong women.

Their visit was an opportunity for me. I saw Japan through a fresh set of eyes. They pointed out things, I no longer noticed and forgot to be amused by. They laughed at things that I had begun to ignore. They showed me the beauty of Japan all over again. And they gave me the strength to finish this emotionally challenging overseas tour with a positive note.


In less than 11 months, I'll leave Okinawa. But I'll never forget Okinawa.

5 comments:

BennyV said...

O didn't get the memo to smile. She thought it was our Colonial family picture.

Pops said...

Every time I go to this blog I think of the slogan "LET THE JOURNEY BEGIN" and think what a journey it has been. I have not heard that slogan for a long time and wonder if the NAVY still uses it.

Unknown said...

You Volkmanns are some of the bravest/strongest folks I know. Hang tough. I can't wait to know what exotic (maybe U.S.) hotspot you'll teach me about next.

Tammy said...

Michelle, you were an amazing tour guide! I'm so glad I was able to share such a wonderful trip with you, Andrea and Nicole. What great memories! We wouldn't have been able to do it all without all of your planning and coordinating.

volksbloggin said...

Ah, thanks Tammers. I love being a tour guide ... possibly a future career?