Sunday, June 1, 2008

Aussie Travel Recap: Sydney

We, Kann sisters, started our 14-day trip in the largest and oldest city in Australia: Sydney. Until the flight to Sydney, when I was reading my guidebook, I thought I was also visiting the country's capital. Whoops. (For my fellow Jeopardy fans, you might want to note that Canberra is the capital of Australia.)

My nine-hour flight was uneventful. Just a hop to Taipei and smooth sailing south to the land of the croc-hunter and attractive male actors. I arrived on time and had no trouble finding Colleen at the airport. But leaving the international airport, via the immigration and customs desk, provided our first bit of trouble.

Australia is crazy strict when it comes to food entering their country. They don't allow any fruit, seeds, granola, jerky, cheese, dried foods or popcorn into the country. You can't even transport fruit or seeds between Australian states. For example, I had to eat the apples we bought in Sydney, New South Wales, before landing in Cairns, Queensland. Fear of disease and containment of their food source drives the whole "declare or beware" signs that intimated temporary visitors. There is even a reality television show devoted to showing people entering Australia and the kind of fees and questioning they face for forgetting to declare a bunch of bananas.

Once I realized the food immigration rules, I ripped open my bag of dried banana chips. Yup, I ate my food while standing in line instead of letting it be taken from me and thrown away. But the real questions started after the officials X-rayed my luggage.

Even though there isn't any rules against processed chocolate entering the country, the officials were very interested in the three bags of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups in my luggage. Eyebrows were raised when they found another three bags of peanut butter cups in Colleen's duffel bag. Suddenly I felt like I was doing something illegal. I was a smuggler of American candy. But I was innocent, I wanted to declare. My sister, Rachel, who was my travel guide for Australia told me Reese's cups were needed for payment to her Aussie mates. I was only following orders.

"Are you married to a dentist?"

With all the sweets packed for the trip, the customs official was more concerned about my dental health than any black market of American candy. Without listening to my answer, the man laughed and zipped my bag shut. I was free to leave Sydney Airport.

Welcome to Australia.

4 comments:

Sweet Cheeks said...

Yeah!!! I can't wait to hear more! What an amazing trip for you gals, so very cool!

Meli said...

oh my gosh that is too funny!

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

That is funny! Tell us more, tell us more!

TammyK said...

You're lucky she only has a month left. I went to Beirut with costco-sized packages of gum, toiletries, advil, tobasco sauce, fresh tortillas ... basically an extra suitcase of things my sister and Miguel wanted from home. But they were much less strict at customs - I just walked right out the door.

I'm glad you finished your food instead of tossing it. That's what I would have done ;)

Can't wait to find out what happens next!