Wednesday, October 22, 2008

My shopping paradise

Tuesday I fought for five Christmas ornaments.

Yes, you read that correctly. Time didn't go so quickly that you flash forward to late November or early December without realizing it. Relax it's only October and it's not even Halloween yet.

But the fact remains. I shopped for Christmas decorations in sunny weather that made me sweat. Let me backup. I'm getting way ahead of myself.

There are three mercantile gems on Okinawa: the Marine Corps Gift Shop, the Navy Fleet Gift Shop and Kadena Gift Corner. These three stores are operated respectively by the Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force officer spouses clubs. The workers are volunteers and the money raised is given to Okinawan and American charities and scholarships.

The items are imported from our Asian neighbors. Volunteers go on buying trips several times a year to places like Thailand, Hong Kong, Philippines and Vietnam. They also sell local Okinawan specialties. The stores carry everything from furniture to jewelry. It is shopping paradise for me.

The best part is how affordable the items are priced. Since the shops are non-profit, the mark-ups are minimum. Think Pottery Barn, World Market or Pier One Imports items, but for half the price. Even Benny can't complain too loudly.

Prior to Tuesday's shopping undertaking, Benny and I have purchased a teak wood rocking chair from the Navy shop for the baby's room. It currently is the only piece of furniture we have for the baby's room.

When I heard the Marine Corps Gift Shop was having an opening for its Christmas store, I knew I had to be there.

I arrived at the store 30 minutes after the doors opened and it was already chaos. Two check-out lines were 20 ladies deep. It was a miniature Black Friday, but I didn't have the Thanksgiving leftovers for lunch.

The confusing scene nearly made me walk out. I wasn't in the mood to battle for Christmas ornaments. But then I heard the carols playing and I remembered my goal. I wanted an Okinawa Santa. It was the only thing I wanted.

As I nudged my way through the store, I looked at various Santas from around the world. I spotted Arabian Santa. I touched Thai Santa. I smiled at African Santa. But I didn't see the Okinawa Santa because every one was already sold and gone. Every single one.

No worries, I could purchase a Japanese version of Saint Nick. Nope, those were liquidated too. But at least I saw what one looked like. A woman was holding four of them. She said she was sending them to her sisters in South Carolina. I couldn't help but whine in my head. I only wanted one for my house here in Okinawa. It would be a holiday reminder after we've left the island of our time here.

But I was out luck and holiday cheer.

Then one woman suggested I buy the Chinese Santa and tell everyone it was the Okinawan. I bought that Santa, but I don't plan to dub it as an Okinawan version.

Instead I want to order an Okinawa Santa directly from the gift shop. Apparently I wasn't the only disappointed shopper this week. It will arrive with the next shipment from the Philippines, sometime in April. It will be the perfect companion to my Chinese Santa.

That Okinawa Santa will be mine. Let there be no doubt about it. Even if I give it to myself for Easter.

8 comments:

Tammy said...

It's a good thing you're there for three years, then. Please tell me you took a picture of the Arabian Santa?

Sweet Cheeks said...

do they have an island santa? chinese santa is quite adorable...

volksbloggin said...

Sadly, no island Santa, Shelly. Tammy if you click on the link for Okinawa Santa you can see pictures of all the Santas they have for sale in the gift shop, including Arabian Santa. And yes, I do take orders.

BennyV said...

Definitely looks like a Chinese Santa, not an Okinawan. Oh yeah, definitely order the Okinawan Santa and we'll send someone else the Chinese Santa for Christmas and pass it off like an Okinawan Santa. They'll never know the difference, except you can't send it to Tammers, Shelly, and anyone in our family who reads the blog. (was that outloud?)

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

hahah. I wouldn't know the difference. I didn't even know there was such as think as an Okinawan Santa. I'd have to have one too.....What does the African one look like? Arabian? We need pictures, hahaha.

Alicia said...

Please remember to save room for your Pink Olsen Christmas orniment on your tree:)

volksbloggin said...

Pink ornament ... whatever could you be talking about, Alicia. And Kati, see the comment above I left for Tammy. If you click on the link, you can see all the Santas they had for sale.

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

HAPPY ANIVERSARY MICHELLE AND BENNY