Thursday, October 9, 2008

Snorkeling in the Kerama Islands

Last Saturday Benny and I enjoyed some fun in the sun. We FINALLY went on a snorkeling tour of the Kerama Islands like we have wanted to do since June. The islands are located about 40 kilometers west of Okinawa. Coral reefs surround the uninhabited islands, so it is a diver's and snorkeler's paradise.

There was several reasons why we waited so long to do this tour.
1) We've been busy.
2) The tour is limited to 30 people, so with thousands of Americans on island, it's competitive to get on the list. I signed us up for the Oct. 3 tour (the last one for this year) a month in advance. Earlier in the summer I waited until three weeks before the tour. That time we were on the waiting list.
3) With typhoons blowing by and regular rain storms, the tour has been cancelled and reschedule several times.

But last Saturday was our day to go to the islands.

The one-hour boat ride was pretty rough getting out there. One 10-year-old across from me looked like he was going to lose his cookies. Luckily he didn't.

Out at the islands, the weather was perfect. Not too hot. Not too sunny. We returned to Okinawa at 5 p.m. It was a long, but relaxing day on the boat, especially for me.


While I was doing my favorite thing on the boat:

Benny was doing this:


Yes, folks. That's MY husband. And the father of my child. The man who is a child jumping from the top of the boat into the water.

4 comments:

Tammy said...

Skinny Dip is a great book. I heart Carl Hiassen.

volksbloggin said...

Patti loaned it to us this summer. Benny read the entire book on the plane ride between San Fran and Okinawa. I've been reading it inbetween my book club requirements.

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

That's funny! And you don't look preggo at all in your swimsuit :)

volksbloggin said...

Nope and that's why I'm sad, Kati. But it's coming out a little more every day.