Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Tea time

Being stationed in Okinawa for three years allows ample time to experience the local culture. You don't have to swallow it all at once. You can take it in through tiny bites.

Recently I experienced a taste of Japanese culture -– I attended an educational trip to learn about a traditional tea ceremony. Participating in the delicate art form of tea sipping while sitting on a tatami mat is No. 1 on my top 10 list of things to do while living in Okinawa. Other activities on this list includes taking a karate class – since Okinawa is the birthplace of this martial art; arranging flowers in an ikebana class and putting brush to paper in a calligraphy class.

The morning started at our tour group's meeting place: the base bowling alley. Within a few minutes a van of ladies and children was heading south toward Naha.

The teaching started immediately as our tour guide gave us a short history of tea in China and the methodical tea ceremonies for the Japanese. Even though our group was all women, tea ceremonies weren't historical a female-only crowd. It was an event for royalty and warriors.

We arrived at our teacher's home and were immediately immersed in the traditions of tea. Following the same rules that applied to samurai and their swords, we left our purses outside of the tea room. We changed out of our flip flops and into wooden sandals. Balancing on the sandals that were too small for my large feet, I waddled through the narrow garden on a path of uneven rocks. I wanted to reflect on feng shui gardening and my oneness with nature. Instead my inner klutz was occupied with fear of an embarrassing fall on the pilgrimage to the tranquil water fountain.

Once there, my nervousness continued as I dipped the ladle in and poured the purifying water over my right hand followed my left. The act of pouring water over your hands and sometimes in your mouth to purify oneself is a routine when attending shrines and temples. This basic ritual makes me nervous because I'm always worried about mistakenly keeping my hands over the fountain and contaminating the entire water supply.

A few steps later, I removed the sandals and crawled through a hole-like door. The act of entering our hands and knees is purposeful. It creates an atmosphere of humility. It's a reminder that despite our status in the world, in the tea room we are all the same. At last I entered the room and breathed a sigh of relief.

Our instructor kindly explained the rules of the room to us. Traditionally we would sit on our knees during the entire two-hour ceremony. Today she permitted us sit comfortably, but asked that we return to our knees as we drank the tea.

The biggest surprise was the tea cups. We drank from a shallow bowl and shared it between us. The first type of tea was thicker and bitter than other type I've drank. The second one was a lighter version and easier to swallow. It wasn't Lipton, but it wasn't bad.

I truly enjoyed the quiet and solemn environment of the tea ceremony. I appreciated the Buddhist teachings that were incorporated into the appreciation of the tea. And just because I've crossed this activity off my international to-do list doesn't mean that I'm done with green tea.

I want to take this introduction to the next level. Eventually I want to host a tea ceremony for my American friends.

It will be a nice balance as I unleash my inner strength in a future karate class.

4 comments:

Meli said...

Oh how exciting! I'm so glad you did that and reported about it! Can we go to one when we visit? How cool!

Patti Kent said...

YAY! look who signed up for gmail! I just sent you pictures too. LOL...NOW I'm getting back to work...for real this time!

Sweet Cheeks said...

that is super cool - you totally should find a preggo karate class - LOL. I love ya! ...and you know I'd be there right with ya!

volksbloggin said...

To answer Melinda's question, this traditional Japanese tea ceremony tour is only offered once a month, the last Thursday of the month, so plan accordingly. I would love to do it again, especially when my mom and sisters come to visit. :)