Tuesday, October 21, 2008

No such thing as a free...

You guessed it: Dinner.

Mongolian BBQ tonight at the Kosano Dining Room during my conference with some of the leadership up here in Yokosuka. About 13 of us gathered around the table after a social hour with some extremely good microbrew telling sea-stories (mine were short being the most junior guy there).

While filling our bowls with our selections to be stir-fried along the (and I'm not making this up) 50ft table, I was the third in line. The little sign at the end of the 50ft table posed the challenge of the day: "If you could guess the price of your dinner within 5 cents, it's free." At 65 cents a pound ($10.40 per pound for those of you keeping score at home), the two gentlemen in front of me came in well over $16 for their meals and guessed over a dollar off each. I compared the weight of my bowl to theirs and deemed it much less, but how much less was difficult to decipher. How much lighter was I? Should I guess $13.75 or is that too light? I don't know, I thought to myself, I did add quite a few vegetables (green, yellow, and red peppers, bean sprouts, carrots, bamboo sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower). Then I got to the meat. Throw in some pork, beef, lamb and wait, they have calamari? Toss that in too. What about the spices? Garlic and ginger, pepperochinis, jalapenos. This is going to be hmmmmmmmm good.

What could go better than getting all my favorite flavors at once (besides wondering how it would taste together, would all the flavors play well together)? Getting all my favorite flavors at once for free!

I thought to myself, I don't think I'm over $14, maybe I'm just shy... like $13.80? No, I did throw an extra slice of lamb... definitely $13.95. My final answer: $13.95.

Judges ruling (aka scale), remember it has be be +/- $0.05 (this isn't The Price is Right): $13.87. The price was wrong, B-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-benny.

Call in the manager for the instant replay, after deliberating for 0.5 seconds (enough time to do the mental calculations) and seeing the difference in price was $13.95 (guess) minus $13.87 (actual) = $0.08 = Full Price Dinner for Benny = $13.87. The ruling on the field is confirmed. I was not about to join two other proud customers who got their dinners for free. No, I was the first runner up, the silver medalist for our group.

3 comments:

Patti Kent said...

Hey b-b-b-b-b-benny, LOL I think that Michelle and Bob would agree that we watched a little too much Adam Sandler (and Chris Farley)growing up.

volksbloggin said...

This whole post is too much math for my English brain. And Patti, your comments are hilarious!

Tammy said...

I'm guessing if anyone would end up with a free dinner, it's Jeremy "sometimes when I'm bored I like to do math" Nevin. But I was confused about how 65 cents a pound is the same as $10.40 per pound. Then again, I'm a journalist. We know nothing about math.