Monday, May 5, 2008

A Cinco de Mayo welcome

Navy pomp and circumstance took centerstage as we headed to the commander's house for a Hail and Farewell Friday night.

I never heard of Hails and Farewells, (basically a get-together among military people and their spouses to welcome new folks and say good-bye to those departing) until our arrival to Port Hueneme, California. At that large Navy installation, Hails and Farewells are a monthly affair. The event is the first thing on the social calendar and nothing interrupts it.

Two years ago, we were hailed for the first time by the XO of Benny's Seabee battalion. I had no idea what to expect and called the XO's wife the night before. She told me the general purpose of the event and what to wear for such an occasion. I had butterflies in my stomach when we arrived at the Officer's Club (an on-base bar and restaurant for the non-military readers) that night. But wearing a blue sundress and pearls, I felt as though I played my role as military spouse calmly. Plus the beer Benny handed me relaxed my nerves.

When it was our moment to be presented before the crowd, I wasn't too worried. Until the XO said that "The Volkmanns don't have any children yet, but Benny says it isn't from a lacking of trying." Cue: My red face showing all embarrassment.

I didn't attend another Hail and Farewell until it was our time to be in the goodbye spotlight in February. Luckily the new XO kept his speech focused on Benny's professional resume.

With this in mind, Benny and I went to the commander's house for a Cinco de Mayo-themed Hail and Farewell for the CEC officers of Okinawa. It was a Mexican potluck, so I made chicken tortilla soup in my slow cooker. I believe it tasted good if an empty pot at the end of the evening is any indication.

The food was delicious. The company was welcoming. And there was even a pinata, but Benny and I didn't get a swing at it. It was only for the children. And just for the record, the whole experience made me "homesick" for my Yuma gang.

The speech to welcome us to Okinawa was short, traditionally and casual. The "fun fact" about us was the observation that Benny and I live in a "house divided" when it comes to the NFL. But I'm not concerned because at this location, thousands of miles from the frozen turf of Green Bay, I have already embraced a handful of Packer fans.

And guess how many Vikings fans Benny has found at Okinawa?

Zero.

It looks like Okinawa will be an isolating place for my favorite Viking. Maybe he will find some fellow Minnesotans at the Hail and Farewell luncheon with his command on Thursday.

4 comments:

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

Oh I remember that welcoming shindig for you when you were embarrassed. At least they kept it tame this time. Meet an Iowans?

TammyK said...

Now Benny will know how Chris feels, being the only Cardinals fan anywhere outside of Arizona.

Peter said...

Michelle, you should not be embarrassed talking about making babies. We all know what's going on--after all, why did you want Benny to keep his hands so soft on deployment?

Ok, I'd better quit now before I get into anymore trouble!

BennyV said...

Peter - next step and you will have a nickname involving a crucifix (inside joke).

For the record, Clinton Roy is a Vikings fan and he was in Okinawa. I'm just taking over where he left off. I'll confirm, but I think the JAG is from MN and a Vikings fan.

The first Monday night football game could make or break us. I'm confident with Farve retired.