Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Meet Cy

I am happy as a 16-year-old who just passed his driving test. I have wheels. I have a car. I am literally jumping up and down as I type this.



After what seemed like forever and a day, Benny and I found a car that meets my needs. It is small and compact, so I'm not afraid to drive it on the James Bonds-daredevil streets make up the neighborhoods here. It has a yellow license plate. Remember my fondness for the yellow Japanese plate? I mentioned in one of my first Far East postings about buying a car.

The engine is small, only a three cylinder. If that's wrong, I'm sure Benny will post something correcting me. It's fuel efficient and cheap on the annual road tax and tolls for the expressway.

It has three doors, which is kind of funny. And it seems to be the national car of Japan. After buying this 1995 version from a Marine couple moving to Monetary, I see Suzuki Wagons everywhere.

We named the car Cy in honor of our favorite college mascot. Now all I need is some Iowa State gear to give this car some personality.

Since this photo was taken, we paid another $100 to have the back windows tinted to a limo darkness. We also had a new stereo put in, so I'm not stuck in the cassette tape deck era anymore. I can listen to my iPod and CDs. Exciting.

And don't let this picture fool you, this car is short. I'll try to take a comparison photo and post that so you can see how small it is.

Until then, wish me luck driving on the left side of the road.

4 comments:

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

YEAH! Hello CY!! I'll have to see what I can find in my neck of the woods to get your car all ISU pimped out. Do you have to have both license plates? If not, I can get you a CY one!

So now you have two cars - Cy and Favre? Or you didn't get Favre. I'm confused.

BennyV said...

A few more details about Cy:

1. He doesn't have wheel covers yet. We'll work on fixing that so Michelle doesn't look so ghetto-fabulous.

2. The engine is only 660cc. That's right, only 60cc bigger than the motorcycle I rode 7 years ago.

3. I think it only has a 3 speeds, and it shifts into 3rd gear at around 40km/hr. Good thing we got a stereo, otherwise you wouldn't be able to hear the radio while cruising at 60km/hr.

BennyV said...

And, we still have Farve. Cy is taller than Farve, but shorter in length. Cy was the answer to getting Michelle out of the house during the day so she can continue the job search and more importantly, shop for clothes that she can't wear (she's taller than the average tall Okinawan woman). That's a topic to be discussed later.

volksbloggin said...

I'm happy to report that Cy has wheel covers, thanks to Benny!