Monday, May 19, 2008

When the Missus is Away, the "Bachelor" will...

Fourteen days of freedom some might call it, but I compare it 14 days and 14 nights of really "not as much fun as when Michelle is here." But it did give me a chance to take care of a few things...

1. Learning that it is not just Michelle who wants to sleep in on Saturday morning. I figured out how to turn the alarm off on the first try and sleep in. Boring.

2. My golf swing. I went the the driving range on Saturday and spent 2 hours trying to remember how to hit my driver straight, how long I hit my irons, and more importantly... how to not embarass myself on Monday when I go on a golf outing through the outdoor recreation program.

I was happy to find out that with a few warmup swings and one cold Miller Lite later, the nerves were settled and I think I hit my driver about 220 yards with the roll (hard to see the ball against the overcast skies). Much better than the first few tee shots that did not go past the women's tees last Thursday. Thankfully we were not playing the "standard rules of golf" on the military installation that day (my first round in over a year).

3. Take advantage of free food and great friends. Our friends Alex and Deb invited me over for dinner and to play Cranium with their neighbors Rob and Merideth. The competition wasn't fair, 3 on 2 in favor of the men, but it was still close. I can't imagine what it is going to be like when Michelle joins the already strong ladies team next time.

4. Most boring, work. I have spent the last month trying to read up on instructions, plans, and procedures for my new job to no avail. Visitors, phone calls, and pesky meetings have kept me from really learning how to do my job. So I didn't mind going in to spend a few hours reading on a rainy day (ok, it wasn't raining, but that makes me feel better to pretend it was).

I cranked up the fan, kicked up my feet, and started reading... for about 5 minutes.
Page 2, feeling clastraphobic, I decided to move the furniture and make more efficient use of the space... which also lead to organizing the 50+ binders on the shelves on the wall... defrosting the mini-refridgerator... and walla! Two hours later I had the place rearranged, but no reading accomplished.

But I feel so much better going into the office, I can focus on my work instead of how the ineffective use of space annoys me. I'd post pictures, but my compatriate has the camera.
I have twice as much room behind my desk, it is welcoming to visitors who don't have to squeeze between a chair and my desk, and it feels great!

5. Watching basketball, and remembering how much more I love to watch baseball. Even if it isn't the Twins losing to the Rockies (that's right Peter, I saw the Rockies won the series) or Michelle's beloved Cubs. Pro basketball just isn't as much fun to watch as March Madness, there are way too many individuals on the court.

So that's the news from Lake Wobegon. If anything more exciting happens, I'll be sure to post. But did you really think I'd post what I've actually been up to while Michelle is gone? Like Michelle is really going to believe me if I said I actually made the bed this morning.

2 comments:

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

Way to go Benny on the post - and it was amusing. I wouldn't have thought any different :)

Meli said...

yay Benny! great post!

thanks for the Cranium party idea, I haven't played that in forever.

keep up the good blogging!