Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Excuse me if I get a little sentimental here

Last Memorial Day Michelle and I were a world apart last year, and who would have thought we'd find ourselves in the same predicament this year.

A few weeks ago we celebrated military spouses day, and I thanked Michelle for her love, patience, and support with me and my job. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy what I do, even if I do have choice words about it every once in a while. But to have such a talented wife held back with the restraints of working in or out of her field, I am grateful.

After the past two weeks of cooking, cleaning (yes Peter, I picked up after myself), eating, golfing, bowling, running, and biking by myself, I have a whole new respect for what Michelle did for the seven months I was deployed. She's only been gone two weeks and I cannot wait for her to get back. She did this for s-e-v-e-n months, and it is much easier for me to understand now that I got a taste of it myself. I couldn't imagine what it'd be like if I was away for a year, nor do I even want to think about it.

We learned a lesson we'll never forget at the Engaged Encounter we attended in 2004: you have to make the choice to love each other every day when you are married, no matter how hard it may be or how frustrated you may be. Thankfully it has always been an easy choice for me since the day we were married. But in the last two weeks, I've been reminded that the hardest part about being married is being apart. I'm am thrilled Michelle got to go on the vacation of a lifetime with Colleen and Rachel, but I am really looking forward to having her back on the other side of the dinner table laughing at my jokes (whether they are funny or not).

37 hours, 33 minutes, and 32 seconds until Michelle gets back. I'm a little excited, can you tell?

5 comments:

Sweet Cheeks said...

I miss Jackson

:-(

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

Oh Benny, you're so sweet! You guys are truly a perfect match!

And I don't know how she ever survived with you gone; I'd die if Justin was gone that long

Meli said...

I'm sending what you wrote to Jason. You are the sweetest Benny. You two are awesome together.

Peter said...

Ok Benny,

Really, this is sappy. It's even worse than the Islamic man-boy love poetry you wrote in the desert. That said, I do hope that you are enjoying (or soon will be) having the missus home again. Just don't blog about what you did the first few hours after Michelle returned home...

BennyV said...

Peter, what happens in the desert, was suppose to stay in the desert. For those who are questioning my poetry skills, Peter is referring to an inside joke from a afternoon training session when he was trying to teach the engineers about iambic pentameter. So I thought by writing something way off the wall, this engineer could get out of the writing business and back to engineering.