Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Painting No. 38 goes to No. 55 for $55

Last Saturday was art-buying day for Benny and I.

First we went to a bazaar to raise money for the American Red Cross on island. I surveyed the Chinese furniture, Japanese kimonos and Indian table runners. All were exquisite. But I'm not at a point where I'm ready to redecorate the house in an Asian style. Instead I'm making a list of things I would like to buy before I leave the island in three years. Then we will have cool Japanese stuff to show off to friends and family members like the Killians.

We did end up paying a guy to write "Volkmann Family' in Kanji. It's a nice addition to our home, don't you think?


In the evening we attended the NOSCO Art Auction, which is a fundraiser for the club's charities. NOSCO (which Benny kept calling Nabisco) stands for Naval Officers Spouses Club of Okinawa.

With wine in hand and appetizers in our bellies, we bought an auction card. I have limited experience with buying at an auction, but Benny still let me be in charge of our No. 55 card. I'm not if this was a good plan, because I'm an emotional sale participant and at one point I wanted to raise my paddle just because it was so exciting to see two people battle over a painting. The price was around $300 at the time.

We did take home two woodblock paintings, both of Mount Fuji. Both are nice additions to our home and something we will treasure long after we leave Okinawa.



4 comments:

villette1 said...

Really nice pieces Michelle!

BennyV said...

Don't let the size fool you. I think the "Volkmann Family" in Kanji is the biggest of all 3 art pieces.

The colored Mt. Fuji piece is only about 14" long and 5" high. The Mt Fuji piece depicting four seasons is about 12" wide and 24" long. But it will provide us with the seasons we have been missing since moving to California and now Okinawa. We probably won't see snow or changing leaves in a while, unless we go to the mainland. But we both enjoyed how how the the four seasons reminded us of the changing climates in different parts of the world.

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

Nice pictures

And benny, they do look big on here

villette1 said...

mE thoughts they were huge! Wish you could send us some snow.