Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Round 1: Cy takes down Farve

at the gas pumps, but not by much. I have to give Farve credit. Farve has more miles (85k compared to 59k), but Cy has him by a few years (Cy was born in 1996, Farve in 2000). It was a close competition.

I pulled into the gas station to fill up Cy before the long weekend. Where I was going, who knows, but I wanted to be ready. Cy had only gone 271km, but the gauge read 1/4 tank. I started the pump and barely started cleaning the windshield when the pump stopped. Surely it wasn't finished yet, Cy only swallowed 4.8 gallons. I was wrong. After topping off Cy, he was satisfied after $17.99 of 90 octane gas (the only kind available here).

Farve didn't get his turn at the pumps until he was warmed up and got an oil change. You have to take care of the weathered players or they burn out before their prime. Although Farve drank only 2 gallons more, he did go further (although he didn't make it to the Superbowl), taking me for a grand total of 350km on 6.8 gallons of fuel.

Put away the calculators, I'll do the math. Your first runner up came it at 51.1 km/gal (32.2 mpg), only 5.4 km/gal behind your winner and reining V-Team efficiency champion, Cy. Cy tooled around Okinawa at a remarkable 56.5 km/gal (35.3 mpg for the state-side folks).

Some factors to keep in mind for this competion:
1. All the driving is done in the city, stop and go every 1/2 or so. I can't imagine what we'd get on the highway with a speed limit of 50 mph (80km/h).

2. Michelle usually doesn't drive Cy like a Cyclone, and I have a tendancy to be a bit rough on Farve being the Vikings fan I am (only a joke, I drive like an old man--no offense Dad).

3. Cy hasn't been worn down answering questions about retirement, unlike his competition.

4. I am not partial to Cy, even if he is huge Vikings fan. It's amazing the influence I have when the Packer fan is away. (this one was written solely for Michelle ;-)

In other bachelor news, I did improve my golf game if that is what you want to call it. I a 94, achieving my goal to not break 100 at the Bel Aire Country Club. A beautiful day after the morning shower went away. I managed to hit some straight drives and a par or two despite some shaky putting, including setting myself up for a 10 footer after the first putt (happened more than once). It's embarrassing for any golfer.

I also managed to get my handicap for the bowling league established on Saturday (make up match), still at 140. Of course in Benny fashion, I started with a 171, then 144, then finished off with a strong 105. Just like the No Mas bowling team in Yuma, I use the house shoes and house ball. Most others in the league have their own shoes and balls, they take this stuff seriously. Unfortunately it is harder to enjoy a cold one in this Tuesday night league, since 0.03 will get you a DUI out in town. Not worth it.

So the countdown to the Missus returning continues. It now stands at 51 hours, 30 minutes, and 29 seconds. But who's counting?

2 comments:

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

Good post Benny, funny!

Peter said...

Hoorah Benny!

The thing to remember about driving Favre is to never let another car get a lead on you--you'll wreck yourself trying to catch up! That said, I am jealous of both Favre and Cy as our car gets about 22 mpg in city driving. That said, I am joining the legion of bike riders so I'll be saving a couple of miles on Pearl every day.

Good job being a bachelor by the way. Golf, Bowling, etc., etc., without one mention of cleaning the house...